Thursday, February 4, 2010

Things Your Mom Never Told You (and your insurance didn't cover).

FREEDOM...FREEDOM...FREEDOM...[If you haven't already, insert Aretha Franklin's "Think" immediately into your soul.]

Monday officially marked my freedom from billable hours.  And time sheets.  And major assholes. 

I do want to emphasize that I was fortunate enough not to work with any major (or minor) assholes in my law firm.  Thankfully, all of those a-holes were always on the opposite side.  Remind me to tell you sometime about the Jabba the Hut look-a-like with turrets that thought it was appropriate to psychoanalyze what kind of a "girl" I was.  Yep, you guessed it, it wasn't very flattering.  It's ok, he'll probably choke on the next double cheeseburger he eats.  Here's to hoping anyway.

Bitter, party of one?  Really, I'm not.  Some people just deserve a shit sandwich.  Just sayin'. 

If your parents were anything like mine, they always pushed you to be the best.  All you had to do was put your mind to it.

If you're mom didn't tell you that you could be the best _____ ever, and I've already lost you to the nearest psychiatrist, or the nearest bridge, I apologize.  Actually, I only apologize if you're currently jumping off of a bridge.  If you're calling your psychiatrist, I applaud you.

For the past 32 years of my life, I've been trying to be the "best."

The best what?

Well, you know, just THE BEST.

Your parents never told you what the best was?  Mine didn't either.  The Webster's Dictionary of my mind really effed up that definition.  Especially when it came to being the best lawyer.  I'll spare you the details, your time, and my embarrassment.  Actually, I'll probably write about it down the road.

Well, thousands of my own dollars later, (insurance doesn't cover counseling for us whack jobs), coupled with a prescription for Lexapro, I have come to realize that I have spent the past 32 years being the lamest "best" the world (ok, the Shreveport/Bossier area, ok, my mind) has ever seen.

Everyone (over 30) always talks about how great your 30's are, and how you will just get it.  And by getting it, I think they meant that for the first time in your life, you get more wrinkles than cellulite (wait is it the other way around?), more sense than not, and the drive to finally do something logical about those wrinkles (see dermatologist bi-annually), cellulite (see personal trainer weekly) and sense (see psychiatrist monthly ). 


On Monday, I hung up my suits and my scales of justice and traded them in for spandex and Nikes.  I am now a fitness director instead of a lawyer.  Maybe I'll even fulfill my life-long dream by trying out to be a Dallas Cowboy cheerleader. Eeek, sorry.  A Saintsation!

Yep, I make a lot less money.  And I mean it when I say A LOT.  But, my husband has promised me that if I sleep with him once a day and iron his clothes, he will give me a modest allowance to buy groceries.  I keed.  Honestly, who really needs a pair of Louboutin's when your husband surprises you with a pair of Jessica Simpson's that are a copy of those Louboutins you dog eared in the Neimans' catalogue?  P.S. Thanks, Kristi for your assistance!

Yes, I'm lucky that I have a great degree.  Yes, I'm lucky that my husband supports my decision.  And, yes, I'm really lucky that it's 2010, and I can decide to take a job that pays less. 

*Note to self--get life insurance on Bart. 

But, you know what the BEST is?  That this is the right decision for me.

1 comment:

  1. I am jealous. I know all to well about trying and failing at being "the best". Thrilled you get to move on to something that will make you happy!

    ReplyDelete